My lunch box Kimbap / Gimbap. Today I make my son's favorite kimbap. I also thought I'd share an easy and delicious back to school idea. Rice: Place freshly made rice in a large, shallow bowl.
This easy kimbap somewhat resembles California roll, but as you can gather they do taste different. In my opinion, easy kimbap has more savory and subtle flavor than California roll. Anyway, kimbap is a popular picnic food in Korea. You can cook My lunch box Kimbap / Gimbap using 12 ingredients and 20 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of My lunch box Kimbap / Gimbap
- It’s 5 of seaweed paper (sheets).
- It’s 4 cup of cooked rice.
- It’s 1/2 lb of beef skirt steak.
- You need 2 of eggs.
- It’s 1 large of carrot.
- Prepare 1 large of zucchini.
- It’s 1 tsp of sesame oil.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 2 tsp of soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 of garlic cloves.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper.
- It’s 1 tbsp of oyster sauce.
I always looked forward to my school picnic day because my mom would. Carrot, eggs, garlic, ground beef, kim, rice, salt, sesame oil, skirt steak, soy sauce, spinach, sugar, vegetable oil, yellow pickled radish. Gimbap (김밥) is a Korean dish made from cooked rice and other ingredients that are rolled in gim—dried sheets of seaweed—and served in bite-sized slices. It's my fav of fave picnic food, as all other Koreans!
My lunch box Kimbap / Gimbap step by step
- Rice: Place freshly made rice in a large, shallow bowl. Gently mix in ½ teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoons sesame oil over top with a rice scoop or a wooden spoon..
- Let it cool down enough so it's no longer steaming. Cover and set aside..
- Steaks: Trim the fat from the skirt steaks and slice into ¼ inch wide, 3 to 5 inch strips..
- Put the strips into a bowl. Add 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1 minced garlic clove, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, and 1 tablespoon oyster sauces. Mix well by hand.Set aside, and let them marinate..
- Eggs: Crack 2 eggs in a bowl and add ¼ teaspoon salt. Whisk eggs until evenly yellow and fry into flat omelet using 10 to 12 inch non-stick pan..
- Cut it into ½ inch wide strips. Put it on the platter..
- Carrots: Cut carrots into thick strips. Combine with ¼ teaspoon salt. Mix well and let it sweat for 5 to 10 minutes. Heat a non-stick pan..
- Squeeze out excess water from the carrot, then saute for about 1 minute. Put it on the platter next to the eggs..
- Zucchini: Cut zucchini into thick strips. Combine with ¼ teaspoon salt. Mix well and let it sweat for 5 to 10 minutes. Heat a non-stick pan..
- Squeeze out excess water from the zucchini, then saute for about 1 minute. Put it on the platter next to the eggs..
- Finish steaks: Heat up a non-stick pan over medium high heat and cook the marinated beef, stirring it with a wooden spoon until well cooked. Set aside.
- Put it on the platter next to the zucchini..
- Let's roll gimbap!!!.
- Place a sheet of seaweed paper on a bamboo mat (sushi roller) with the shiny side down. Evenly spread about ¾ cup of cooked rice over top of it, leaving about 2 inches uncovered on one side of the seaweed paper..
- Place beef, carrot, zucchini and a few egg strips in the center of the rice..
- Use both hands to roll the mat (along with seaweed paper and rice) over the fillings, so one edge of the rice and seaweed paper reaches the opposite edge. This centers the fillings in the roll, so they?ll be nicely in the middle when you slice it..
- Grab the mat with both hands and and press it tightly as you continue rolling the kimbap. Push out the mat as you roll, so it doesn't get wrapped in the kimbap..
- Remove the roll from the mat at the end and set the finished roll aside with the seam down, to seal it nicely.Repeat 4 more times with the remaining ingredients..
- Cut each roll into ¼ inch bite size pieces with a sharp knife, occasionally wiping it with a wet paper towel or cloth to clean the starch off and to ease cutting..
- Put it on a plate and serve immediately or pack it in a lunchbox..
When I was young, going picnic, hiking or field trip from school, my mom always wakes up early early morning and made kimbap for my lunch box. The korean gimbap rice is not same like the rice for making sushi. Let the fresh cooked rice cool down for. · Gimbap (or kimbap) is Korean rice rolls. The sesame oil flavored rice and colorful fillings are rolled in a seaweed sheet. Learn how to make classic gimbap Kimbap (aka Gimbap) – Korean Dish Recipe