Perfect Pot Roast & Vegetables. It all starts with a nicely marbled piece of meat. Pot roast, when made according to a few fundamental rules, can be a totally delicious addition to your repertoire. A simple yet perfect pot roast with carrots, potatoes, onions, fresh herbs and roasted garlic.
Pot roast is a comfort food classic! Here's the easy way to make it perfectly every time! I have been making Pot Roast in the pressure cooker for some time now. You can cook Perfect Pot Roast & Vegetables using 12 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Perfect Pot Roast & Vegetables
- You need 1 of 2-3 lb beef rump roast.
- Prepare 3 tbs of cooking oil suitable for high heat (I use light olive oil).
- Prepare 1 of medium yellow onion – peeled and diced to 1/4" pieces.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic – crushed.
- You need 3 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- You need 3 cups of low sodium beef broth.
- You need 1/2 cup of marsala wine (optional).
- It’s 4 of medium potatoes – peeled, cut in thirds across.
- Prepare 3-4 of medium carrots – peeled, cut in thirds across.
- You need 3 of medium turnips – quartered.
- It’s 2 of large parsnips – peeled cut in half across, fat ends quartered.
- Prepare To taste of salt and pepper.
However, I just use pepper, season salt, and onion powder to season the meat after browning. I also use beef broth only. Those are the main tips for a perfect pot roast. Season a beef pot roast all over with a liberal amount of salt and pepper.
Perfect Pot Roast & Vegetables step by step
- Let roast sit out at room temp while you prep all your veggies. Set veggies aside, but do not mix. Place only the potatoes in a bowl of cold water to prevent discoloration..
- Generously sprinkle roast with salt and pepper on all sides (this is a large piece of meat, more flavor/seasoning on the outside=better flavor inside)..
- Heat a large dutch oven (or other heavy bottomed, oven safe pot) over medium high heat – you seriously want this thing scorching for the best sear. Add oil. As soon as it shimmers use good tongs to place roast in pot, fat side down..
- Sear roast on all sides, do not turn to new side until currently cooking side easily releases from the pot (you'll see what I mean). When roast is nicely browned on all sides pull out of pot and place on a plate off to the side. Preheat oven to 450°F at this time..
- Reduce stove top heat to medium. Add onion and crushed garlic to the pot. Sautée 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add flour and cook 2 minutes more, wisking constantly..
- Wisk in broth and marsala. Bring to a simmer wisking frequently, until sauce just begins to thicken. Do not season at this time. Return roast to pot. Turn to coat in sauce, finishing fat side up..
- Arrange veggies around roast layered: turnips first, then parsnips, carrots, and potatoes last. The potatoes do not need to be fully submerged, and your roast will not be fully submerged. This is what you want. Place lid on pot. Place pot in oven. Reduce oven heat to 250°F immediately. Cook roast covered 2.5 – 3 hrs..
- Remove from oven. Using tongs, transfer roast to a cutting board. Tent with foil to rest at least 10 minutes, DO NOT cut immediately. Use a slotted spoon to remove veggies from pot to a platter, tent with foil to keep warm..
- Place pot over medium high heat on stove top. Bring sauce to a rapid boil. Boil until reduced by half, stirring often. Taste (careul it's hot lol) and add salt and pepper as desired. Turn off heat..
- To serve, thinly slice roast against the grain. Plate with veggies and drizzle with sauce. Enjoy!.
- See notes below ⤵.
- Note 1: If you do not want to use marsala add an additional 1/2 cup of beef broth to substitute..
- Note 2: For a smooth sauce pour through a fine mesh strainer to remove the broken down bits of onion and garlic. We personally like the extra pieces in ours..
Look no further for the perfect POT ROAST and GRAVY recipe! Falling apart tender, extra flavorful, melt in your mouth good! This is one recipe you need to try! The Perfect Pot Roast Recipe with instructions to make it in the oven or slow cooker! Seasoned just right and served with homemade gravy and tender carrots, onions and potatoes, this will be your new.