Red Beans and Rice. Red beans and rice is an emblematic dish of Louisiana Creole cuisine (not originally of Cajun cuisine) traditionally made on Mondays with red beans, vegetables (bell pepper, onion, and celery), spices (thyme, cayenne pepper, and bay leaf) and pork bones as left over from Sunday dinner. New Orleans-Influenced, Blues-Inspired Roots Music from the Central Coast of California. Red Beans and Rice – So thick, so creamy and so flavorful!
I've done a ton of research and development for this, eating so much. I grew up in Louisiana and love red beans and rice; these are just like I remember–red beans made with Cajun seasonings and Andouille sausage. All Reviews for Authentic Louisiana Red Beans and Rice. You can have Red Beans and Rice using 19 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Red Beans and Rice
- It’s 1 lb of soaked red beans.
- You need 3 quarts of chicken stock.
- You need 2 of small white onions, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of bell pepper, chopped.
- It’s 4 stalks of celery, chopped.
- Prepare 4 of bay leaves.
- You need 1 lb of andouille sausage.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced.
- You need 2 of smoked ham hocks.
- It’s of chopped parsley.
- You need 2 teaspoons of ground dry thyme.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of cumin.
- You need 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of fresh ground black pepper.
- It’s of Sliced Green Onions.
- Prepare of Cooked Rice.
- You need of Tabasco.
- Prepare of Butter.
Traditional Louisiana red beans and rice also uses Andouille sausage which we did not add, but you could if you wanted. There was plenty of flavor, and plenty of meat, with the smoked shanks. Red beans and rice is a true Creole classic! Like many of the best Louisiana dishes, it is made up of humble ingredients that, after a long simmer, are transformed into a bowl of rich, creamy comfort food.
Red Beans and Rice step by step
- Brown andouille in a large crock pot, remove when browned on all sides, reserve..
- Add onions and sweat with a bit of salt until translucent in butter..
- Add celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until fragrant..
- Add cayenne, cumin, dry thyme, and pepper. Stir to combine..
- Add chicken stock to pot, as well as the ham hocks, bay leaves, and the soaked red beans, bring to a boil and cover, stirring occasionally..
- When beans are cooked through and tender, remove bay leaves and ham hocks (reserve the hocks), then use an immersion blender or your wooden spatula to break a portion of the beans down to give the dish a creamy texture. Reduce heat to a bare simmer..
- Slice reserved andouille, and break ham hocks down, removing the meat from the bones. Discard bones and skin. Add meats back to pot and stir to combine..
- When meat is brought up to temp (about 5 minutes), add chopped parsley, stir, and serve immediately over rice. Top with green onions and tabasco/crystal hot sauce to taste..
It is truly Southern cooking at its core, and perfect for an upcoming Mardi Gras celebration (or even just. Making red beans and rice from scratch is easy; all it takes is beans, vegetables, some cured pork and sausage, and patience. [Photographs and video: J. New Orleans-style red beans and rice is mind-bendingly delicious. Smoky, spicy, hearty, and supremely comforting. Red beans & rice is a traditional Creole dish made with red beans, veggies, and, often, leftover pork bones.