Delicata Squash Shepherds Pie. If you don't have any leftover rice, feel free to leave it out or replace with any cooked grain. Delicata is a small winter squash with an edible skin, which makes it a breeze to prepare! Wash, slice off the ends, then halve it lengthwise, seed it, and cut.
If you've never roasted delicata squash, get ready to fall in love! It's a breeze to prepare, and it has a rich, creamy texture and delicious sweet flavor. Roasting delicata squash is far and away the best way to prepare it. You can cook Delicata Squash Shepherds Pie using 13 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Delicata Squash Shepherds Pie
- Prepare 4 of small delicata Squash, cleaned and cut in cubes.
- Prepare 2 of cups, water.
- It’s 1 cup of cooked mashed potatoes.
- You need 1 of vegan chicken bouillon cube.
- You need 2 cups of cooked red lentils (or any lentil of your choice).
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of each of chopped celery, onions and carrots.
- It’s 1 can of tomato sauce, 8oz.
- You need 1 cup of thinly sliced green chard.
- You need 1-2 tbsp of Badia Mediterranean Blend.
- Prepare 3 of crushed garlic cloves or 1tbsp of ajo.
- It’s 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil.
- It’s 1 tsp of liquid smoke.
- You need to taste of Salt/pepper.
Like other varieties of winter squash, the natural sugars in delicata squash are drawn out in the hot oven, which allows for beautiful caramelization as it becomes tender. As I mentioned above, the skin of delicata squash is so thin. · This roasted delicata squash recipe is a delicious fall side dish! Serve it straight out of the oven, or see the notes below for a make-ahead option. This Stuffed Delicata Squash recipe is vegetarian and full of nutrition.
Delicata Squash Shepherds Pie step by step
- Heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Let it get slightly hot, then add onions, celery and carrots. Stir and cook for about 10-11 minutes or until the onions are slightly translucent. Add the green chard and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Add the lentils, liquid smoke, mediterranean seasoning and tomato sauce to the veggies. Add another tbsp of coconut oil to keep the food from sticking to the pan. Cook for another 7-9 minutes. Set aside.
- Clean and cube the squash. In small pot, put in the squash, water and bouillon then cook for approx. 20-30 minutes on medium heat. Check the squash with a fork. If it's soft enough to go thru the fork then it's ready. When it's ready pour half of the liquid out of the pot. Add the cooked mashed potatoes to the squash then start to mash the ingredients together. When it becomes a smooth mixture, stir until fully blended..
- Take a 8"or 9" casserole dish and add the veggie mix to the dish. Evenly spread the mix throughout the dish. Take squash/potatoe mashed mix and put on top evenly coating the dish. Set oven to broil. Broil the dish for 10-15 minutes or until the top is nicely browned. Bon Appetite!.
Roasted delicata squash stuffed with quinoa, kale and mushrooms and drizzeled with. In EatingWell's take on Shepherd's Pie, we replace the potato topping with convenient, delicious frozen squash puree. And they're baked in individual ramekins to guarantee perfectly sized servings and help you get it on the table fast. Try these delicata squash recipes—from cassoulets to salads and more—today! There are tons of ways to turn delicata squash into dinner.