Shepherd's Pie the Meaty One. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served "shepherd's pie" here, it is most often made with ground beef. Shepherds pie is a classic British recipe Shepherds pie is very simple to make – a rich meaty sauce topped with mashed potato and cheese, finished off in the oven..with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw.
A deeply savoury lamb and vegetable filling topped with creamy mashed potato and a golden cheese crust, it's straightforward to make and is brilliant for making ahead. This skillet shepherd's pie is loaded with flavorful beef and veggies then topped with fluffy and creamy mashed potatoes, then baked to perfection! Rich and flavorful beef shepherd's pie recipe, made easy in one skillet! You can have Shepherd's Pie the Meaty One using 23 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie the Meaty One
- You need of Potatoes.
- Prepare 2 pounds of Yukon gold potatoes.
- You need 1 stick of butter.
- You need As needed of water to boil potatoes.
- You need of To taste salt.
- It’s 12 ounces of evaporated milk.
- Prepare of Gravy.
- You need 3 pounds of lamb neck bones.
- Prepare 1 pound of ground lamb.
- It’s 1 stick of butter.
- You need 1 cup of English peas.
- Prepare 1 pound of lamb steaks.
- You need 1 pound of baby carrots.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of celery.
- You need 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare of To taste salt.
- It’s of To taste ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic powder.
- Prepare 3 of pearl onions grated.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of ground thyme.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of rosemary.
- It’s 15 ounces of beef broth.
Ground beef, tender vegetables, and fluffy mashed potatoes Some of you may be questioning the name here… after all, a shepherd's pie is not traditionally made with ground beef, but rather made of ground lamb or mutton. Shepherd's pie is a type of meat pie made with lamb and a crust or topping made from mashed potatoes. Original versions were a way of using leftover roasted meat. The pie dish would have been lined on the bottom and sides with mashed potatoes as well as topped with mashed potatoes before.
Shepherd's Pie the Meaty One instructions
- Season the neckbones cut up the lamb steaks. Set them aside. Cut up the vegetables. Grate the onions..
- Sauté the vegetables except for the English peas in the butter. Add the neckbones and steaks to the vegetables. Simmer covered for 15 minutes remove the meat..
- Simmer the ground lamb with the vegetables. When the lamb is browned drain the juices. Preheat oven to 400°Fahrenheit..
- Make the mashed potatoes. Peel and cube the potatoes. Add enough water to a pot to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil till potatoes are fork tender. Drain potatoes add the stick of butter, and evaporated milk..
- Whip potatoes till creamy and thick. Allow to cool, and firm..
- Add the spices, tomato paste, and flour stir well. Add back to pan and sauté for 4 minutes. Add in the 15 ounces of beef broth. Stir and allow to simmer 10 minutes..
- When the potatoes are cooled to the touch, add to top of the shepherd's pie filling. Spread with a fork and put into hot oven for 30-35 minutes. Allow to rest 15 minutes and serve. I hope you enjoy!!!.
This family friendly shepherd's pie uses ground beef (instead of the traditional lamb), and your Instant Pot® or multi-cooker pressure cooker to prepare the filling and potatoes. Gather the family round with this quick and easy shepherd's pie recipe. The meat mixture can be made ahead and frozen. A plant-based take on the comforting classic made with hearty lentils and parsnip mashed potatoes. Comfort food just the way I like it.