Chicken Pie. Chicken pie is proper comfort food for a family dinner. We have lots of recipes whether you like puff pastry, potato-topped or a light filo-wrapped version. Chicken pie is proper comfort food for a family dinner.
Fresh vegetables gives this a very special added flavor and is worth the effort. Everyone loves Mom's Chicken Pot Pie! A collection of gorgeous, golden chicken pie recipes from some of Britain's greatest chefs. You can have Chicken Pie using 23 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken Pie
- It’s 1 of pastry for double crust pie (see recipe).
- You need of Alternatively, buy 2 premade puff-crust doughs.
- It’s 1 of whole chicken.
- Prepare 1/2 of onion chopped.
- You need 1/2 of onion whole.
- Prepare 1 of large stem celery chopped.
- You need 1 of small stem celery (whole, with leaves).
- Prepare 1 of leek, white part only, sliced.
- Prepare 240 gr of mushrooms (chopped in quarters).
- It’s 10 of calamata olives (pitted and halfed).
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of flour.
- It’s of salt.
- You need of pepper.
- You need 1 of egg white.
- Prepare 1 can of green peas.
- It’s 1/3 of carrot, whole.
- You need 2/3 of carrot, chopped.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare of olive oil.
- Prepare of oregano.
- Prepare 20 g. of butter.
- You need 80-100 gr of bacon, chopped finely.
- Prepare 2 of lt. boiling water.
From easy chicken and mushroom pie to spectacular pithiviers, this collection contains plenty of leftover roast chicken ideas. When we think of chicken pie, we think of the satisfying crunch the crust makes when cutting it open, or the steam rising from the filling and the family gathering. Chicken and mushroom pie is a common British pie, ranked as one of the most popular types of savoury pie in Great Britain and often served in fish and chips restaurants. The outside is usually a full top and bottom crust.
Chicken Pie step by step
- Cut chicken into pieces. Heat oil in a large pot, stirfry 1/2 whole onion, 1/3 whole carrot, celery stem and garlic cloves together with chicken backbone, breast and thighs and interiors if available (reserve drumsticks and wings for a different dish); flip once or twice until browned. Add salt, pepper, oregano, leek leaves and boiling water (2 lt.). Boil for 1/2 hour medium high heat, covered, then let simmer for additional 15m-30m. Reserve chicken and strain stock, discard veggies..
- While chicken is cooking, make dough according to recipe. Divide dough in 2 and reserve each ball in plastic film, room temperature..
- When you are done with the dough, add oil to a pan and stirfry chopped onion, carrot, leek and celery. Reseve. Stirfry bacon (optional) and mushrooms. Reserve together with the rest of the veggies..
- When the chicken has cooled down, remove meat from bones and cut in bite size pieces (size to taste). Be sure to prevent bone or cartilage to mix with the meat. Discard bones..
- Heat butter in a pan, add flour and stir until browned. Slowly add broth to create a gravy-like consistency. Add reserved stirfried veggies, add chicken meat, add green peas, add olives. Here's where you can be creative and add/remove/replace any of the ingredients (but if you remove the chicken, it's not a chicken pie anymore 😁)..
- Add stock and make it slightly more liquid that the consistency you want inside the chicken pie. Season to taste and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until you reach the consistency you desire. Turn oven on and preheat @ 200C..
- Roll half of the dough and lay it in the pan, covering the edges and leaving excess to fold the dough (use ~1 to 2 inches high pie pan). Roll top dough to make sure it covers the pan. (There should be some excess dough that you can use for decoration or some extra biscuits). Fill the bottom dough with the mix in the pan, making sure it does not overflow..
- Cover with top dough, cut excess dough off and stick edges together and roll them in. Use part (or all) of the excess dough to add ornaments to the dough..
- Brush eggwhite on top of dough and make small wholes evenly to let steam escape..
- Bake in oven for 20-30 mins, until top crust is cooked and browned. Let rest for 5-10 mins before serving..
This classic Chicken Pot Pie is filled with tender pieces of chicken, carrot, celery, potato, and herbs. It's cozy comfort food that's wonderful in the winter! Sometimes people think of chicken pot pie as boring freezer food, but when it's done right, made from scratch, it can be really delicious and satisfying. Plus, this homemade chicken pot pie is super easy to prep, making it a great recipe for beginner cooks and busy families alike. One of our most popular and top-rated meals of all time, this Classic Chicken Pot Pie has a flaky, buttery crust, a creamy sauce, and a hearty mix of chicken and vegetables your.